May 5-12, 2019 Destination Retreat: Bald Head Island, NC
We will be traveling together to many places in 2019, but our adventures will begin here, on Bald Head Island (BHI).
BHI is North Carolina's southernmost barrier island and is reachable only by private boat or a 20-minute ferry ride from the quaint town of Southport. In early May, the weather on BHI is nice and warm!
Life is simple on BHI. We'll leave our vehicles on the mainland in favor of transportation via golf cart, bicycle or skateboard. We trade the hustle, bustle and stress of every day life for relaxation on 10,000 pristine acres of Mother Nature's creations: preserved beaches, marsh and maritime forest.
In addition to multiple daily yoga classes, meditations and other mindfulness-based activities, we will kayak through the marsh, try our hands at stand-up paddleboard (SUP) yoga, explore the nature trails and enjoy a gourmet cooking class/wine tasting.
We will play on the island's 14 miles of beaches, climb Old Baldy Lighthouse's 108 steps and take a Ghost Walk to learn about the island's spooky history. We will learn about the island's flora and fauna through The Bald Head Island Conservancy's many programs and, if we're REALLY, REALLY lucky, we may be able to catch a glimpse of a mama sea turtle laying her eggs on-shore.
While a number of activities are included in your retreat (so that we can experience them together!), you will have ample time to participate in other activities in order to customize your retreat experience! Play the George-Cobb designed golf course (recently renovated by Tim Cate), swim in the Club's brand new pool, visit the Island Retreat Spa, go geocaching, play tennis, sail, take surfing lessons, go kite-boarding and SO MUCH MORE.
Despite the timeless simplicity of this unique island, our beautifully appointed oceanfront home offers all of the modern conveniences necessary in today's society, including a flat screen television equipped with cable in every bedroom, reliable Wi-Fi, solid cell-phone reception, washer & dryer and other appliances and countless other amenities.
Our gorgeous home is oceanfront and has a private beach access - we will be a few mere steps from the beach! The side of the home that faces the beach is covered in windows and numerous decks can be accessed via common areas and bedrooms! They are both covered and uncovered, sit high above the dunes and overlook the waves. We also have a four-seasons room. So many wonderful places to enjoy your morning coffee or happy hour beverages!
Our home has 6 large bedrooms, 5.5 baths, as well as a large eat-in kitchen that will accommodate our entire group at mealtimes! The home has both a great room and media room on the First Floor and a second den and game area on the Second Floor. There is plenty of room for everyone to be comfortable!
Numerous rooming options are available, to accommodate a variety of price points - see below to choose your rooming option! A 50% deposit is required to hold your space.
What is included in the cost of your retreat?
- Round-trip ferry to and from the island, including tram transportation from the island's ferry terminal to our house;
- Accommodations for 8 days & 7 nights on Bald Head Island;
- All linens - bed sheets, bath towels and beach towels;
- Some toiletries - (assorted brands of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, bath soap, hand soap, individual tubes of toothpaste) to minimize your packing!;
- 2 daily yoga classes plus additional yoga nidra experiences, nature meditation sessions and other mindfulness-based activities;
- Delicious meals (7 breakfasts, 5 lunches and 6 dinners) - you will be on your own for 2 lunches and 1 dinner so that you have a chance to sample the island's restaurants;
- Wine will accompany the 6 dinners provided;
- Snacks, fruit and other beverages will be available 24/7 to consume at your leisure;
- 2 shorter duration yoga-hikes on the island's nature trails;
- Guided historical tour of the island, including admission to the Smith Island Museum and climbing Old Baldy Lighthouse (North Carolina's OLDEST lighthouse!);
- Nighttime Ghost Walk Tour;
- Kayaking trip through the marsh;
- Stand-Up Paddleboard (SUP) yoga, taught by none other than Jessica Johnson of Barefoot Adventures in Long Beach Island, New Jersey. Jessica has a plethora of training in a variety of yoga-related areas and holds a certification in teaching SUP yoga (!!!);
- Gourmet cooking class + wine tasting;
- Shared use of two (2) 6-passenger golf carts and one (1) 4-passenger golf cart, cruiser bicycles and beach chairs;
- Yoga Mandala stainless steel refillable water bottle and Yoga Mandala stainless steel travel mug for hot beverages (in an effort to reduce our use of single-use cups and bottles);
- Use of Yoga Mandala yoga mat spray (no need to bring your own bottle!);
- Other activities through The Bald Head Island Conservancy; and
- Trip insurance - our insurance would not cover your payments if you opted not to come to the retreat for some reason. But it WOULD ensure that you receive your money back if the entire trip is canceled due to weather, etc.
What is not included in the cost of your retreat?
- Flights or other transportation to/from the retreat;
- Guests traveling by air will need to pay for shuttle service from Wilmington airport to the ferry terminal in Southport. We will make arrangements for you, but you should be prepared to pay approximately $65 + gratuity at the time of your transport;
- Guests driving to the Southport ferry terminal will need to pay for vehicle parking ($8 per day);
- Gratuities for guides and service-providers;
- Alcoholic beverages with the exception of wine with the 6 dinners provided;
- Yoga mats - please bring your own;
- Services at Island Retreat Spa - we will arrange appointments for services for you but you will need to pay the spa directly;
- Golf - we will schedule tee times for you, but you will need to pay the Club directly ($95 for 9 holes, $135 for 18 holes, $49 for club rental);
- Sailing - we will make arrangements for you, but you will need to pay directly for services ($75 for 90 min FunSail trip; $150 for 2-hour lesson);
- Surfing - we will assist you with arrangements, but you will need to pay directly for services (surfboard rental: $15/hour, $40/day, $150/week or surfing lessons: $75 for 90-min group lesson or $100 for 90-min private lesson); and
- private rental of additional bikes or golf carts (prices vary).
Bedroom 4 is on the second floor of the home, has a queen-sized bed and deck with a view of the beach! This room shares a hall bath. This bedroom has a "sleeping couch," which accommodates 1 person, if you'd like to squeeze in a third person!
$2,344.00/person (double occupancy).
$1999.00/person (triple occupancy using sleeping couch).
$3,788 for single occupancy
Bedroom 5 is on the second floor of the home and offers two sets of bunk beds (4 twin-size beds) with a beautiful view of the dunes! Guests in this room will share a hallway bath with one other bedroom. This is the perfect choice for travelers on a budget! If the need arises, 1 or 2 extra beds can be added to this room.
$1850.00/person if 4 occupants; Add $949 for each additional person (up to 6) to make the per person price as low as $1549! Fifth and Sixth occupants would sleep on extra rollaway beds.
What should you bring?
- Yoga mat
- Money for 2 lunches and 1 dinner (credit cards are accepted on the island)
- Any toiletries you may need, other than those provided
- Sunscreen & bug repellant
- Clothing - include pants/long sleeves, as it gets cool at night
- Camera, if you wish
- Laptop, if you wish
- Cell phone charger
- Sturdy shoes or sneakers for nature trails
- Any games, pasttimes or favorite items that you can't live without for a week!
What can be purchased or rented on the island?
- Restaurant/takeout food
- Beer & wine
- Sunscreen & bug repellant
- Movie (dvd) rentals
- Golf activities and supplies
- Surfing activities and supplies
- SUP activities and supplies
- Kayaking activities and supplies
- Canoeing activities and supplies
Frequently Asked Questions (that are not answered above!):
- How do I get to the island? Should I fly or drive?
This is completely up to you! Short, inexpensive flights to Wilmington, NC airport are often available from many locations. If you fly, you will take a shuttle to the marina, where you will board the ferry boat to get to the island. You will need to pay your driver directly for your shuttle ride - this charge will be approximately $65, but we can secure a better rate if our guests travel to the island at the same time. We will help you coordinate this.
If you choose to drive, carpooling may be an option! If you would like to drive with others, let us know and we will try to match you up with someone else who may be carpooling from your area. Drivers will need to transport themselves to the Deep Point Marina, located at 1301 Ferry Road in Southport, NC. Parking is available at the marina for $8/day.
2. How does the ferry system work?
The Bald Head Island Ferry is fantastic! When you arrive at the marina in Southport, ferry employees will handle your luggage for you. Your tickets will have been paid for in advance, you will simply need to pick them up at the ticket window.
The ferry departs the main land for the island every hour, on the hour and departs the island for the main land every hour, on the half-hour. The total ride is about 20 minutes long. You can sit inside the passenger cabin on the main floor of the boat OR you can sit outside in the fresh air! There is plenty of outdoor seating on the second floor of the ferry and limited outdoor seating at the front of the boat, on the first floor.
Until you board the ferry yourself, you can check it out on the Ferry Cams! One camera is located at Deep Point Marina in Southport and one camera is located at the marina on Bald Head Island.
3. Are there restaurants on the island?
Yes! Mojo's on the Harbor is a beautiful place for waterfront dining, as it is located right on the docks in the marina!
Delphina Cantina is located in the marina complex and serves breakfast and delicious Mexican cuisine in the dining room and takeout pizzas from the bar area.
Located within Delphina's is the Sandpiper Coffee & Ice Cream shop, which sells coffee, breakfast pastries and delectable ice cream!
The Bald Head Island Clubhouse offers multiple options for more upscale dining. The Grille Room is the club's primary dining room and serves brunch, lunch and dinner. Reservations are required in the Grille Room. The Palms dining room is slightly less formal, does not require reservations and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. In nice weather, lunch and dinner are available al fresco at the Palms Terrace. And the Peli Too (also called the Pelicatessen) serves light fare for lunch and dinner beside the Club's pool (which is currently under renovation and will be brand new for the 2019 season!).
The Maritime Market Cafe sits inside of the grocery store on the island (the Maritime Market) and serves a variety of dishes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Daily specials also are available and, in the summertime, the Cafe is home to a walk-up ice cream window!